There is a nasty little scam going on, targeting artists and craft workers. You’ll get a cold call from “Kids for Life”, a “charity” helping terminally ill children. You’ll be offered advertising space in their magazine in which you will be declaring your support for the charity. The guy talks fast and, if you’re a mug like me you’ll be thinking “OK, I doubt I’ll get enough sales to cover the cost of the ad, but it’s going out all over Wales, so you never know, and, in any case it’s in a good cause. Within about 24 hours you’ll see the draught copy (graphics lifted straight off your website) and you’ll be invoiced by “Inpress Media”, a company that may well be bona fide.

A copy of the magazine will arrive – pictures of children with shaven heads, trite articles. Check the ads from the “supporters”. Unless it’s from an artist or craft worker you will find it is a fake. The email addresses don’t exist. Google the company names. They don’t exist either.

Not long afterwards “Kids for Life” will call again asking you to update your “subscription”. I have contacted the only other genuine advertiser, a painter, and he tells me the guy became “abrasive” when he began questioning him. I raised the issue of a scam (I’d heard, by now of this trick) and pretty quickly – “OK mate” – he hung up.

Infinitely worse things than this have happened to my family, so I’m not going to beat myself up about it, but what makes this scam particularly despicable is the exploitation of sick children. It is going to make the task of genuine children and cancer charities that much tougher.

137 Responses to “Potters, don’t be mugs!”

1. Anon 12. Oct, 2014 at 11:55 am #

Kids for Life registered with the Charity Commission a few months ago. That doesn’t mean they are a proper charity, it just means they filled in the forms. But it also means that you can report them to the Commission

• Isaac 20. Mar, 2017 at 10:58 pm #

Hey,

I am reading those comments and I can’t believe I am not the only one who got screwed by those guys.

Luckily I haven’t paid, but they keep harassing me with phone calls and letters.

Is there a way you think we can all gather and make a Class Action or some sort?

Thanks,
      Isaac

• enya 29. Mar, 2017 at 10:44 am #

I just got a phone call on Monday from ‘kidsforlife.org.uk’ and saw this blog. I was thinking of advertising but their website seemed not quite right. I asked for him to send me copies of the magazine and kept asking for names of other businesses. I just want people to know this is happening. I have not heard back from the caller despite the fact that he said i would get a phone call from ‘sales manager’ in an hour or so. I rang him and challenged him after reading this blog so maybe i scared him off.

• Katie 29. Mar, 2017 at 1:45 pm #

We’re currently having the same issue. My partner has been scammed and been sent an invoice saying he has 14 days to pay, even if he’s not happy with the proof advertisement basically? Reading from the terms and conditions. I knew there was something dodgy and then have read all of this. Is there anything we can do? Are they allowed to demand and take him to court down the line if he didn’t pay? Thank you

Katie

• M.A. 19. May, 2017 at 10:17 am #

Hi all to have been scammed by these people, so a few things. You can keep a genuine charity number as long as you can prove you’re giving a certain amount of the money you acquire goes to an actual charitable action however the amount you make from “donations” you only have to give some of it away. So simply you give £10 to them and they’ll only give £2 to charity, not that charitable if you ask me. However what they’re doing is illegal as they can’t seem to prove how many magazines they’ve actually distributes or where so this is actually mis selling, you also have to have paper work sent to you for you to sign or sign online to agree to an advertisement so again, can’t do what they’re doing.
          They’ve harassed me for about a year now so I did some investigating. 70% of the ass are fakes and phoned the real ones, one genuine advertisement in the magazine told me he was scammed over 6 years ago and had nothing to do with them since, I asked him for more info but he was to distraught to talk further about it but he did say I wasnt the first to call.
          When they next called me I called them out on this and asked if they were genuine why can’t they give me basic info about where they’re being distributed and why they felt they had to use fake add, she said “you must have got a sample magazine” I then told her I’ve received a variety (of 3 front covers) of this magazine and they’re the same fake ads different real ones, she claimed she didn’t know about this and how “shocked” she was, bollocks.
          A few months previously I sent a email to the person who “runs” kids for life, Andrew agher, or something like that and he claimed they’re completely genuine and how could the person who I phoned who was scammed 6 years possibly be them as they’ve only been around since 2014, this date does not match up with there website, government site or Facebook, oh yeah there Facebook, have a look on any genuine children’s charity and then compare it to the kids for life, I don’t need to tell you how dodgy there’s looks, just go and compare. If you have any questions then please send me an email, been looking into them for a long time.

On a last note, regards to all the people who have received this crap magazine with a lovely invoice in the centre of it (sent by the fake print company as mentioned on this website) and are worried if you don’t pay it they’ll come after you, they don’t, DO NOT WORRY, they’ll send you a letter with the invoice again saying it must be paid or they’ll take legal action, they won’t, the reality is, if they did all it would take is for yourselves through the freedom of information act to acquire the necessary stats and information from them which in any court or to any half decent lawyer would see the red flags and they’d be in more shit then anyone, these people aren’t dumb they’ve been doing it for a while. Next they’ll sent a “debt collector” after you who’ll phone you and say they’re from UK debt recovery or UK debt collection, generic name nonsense, legally they have to give you a number to contact a head office and there employee number, same way bouncers have to were there arm band IDs at all time while on duty and must be visible for the exact same reason, to be accountable. I’m 100% certain they’ll make an excuse or just say no to your request, hang up. You will be harrased by phone calls, that’s unavoidable, just block the number and any new ones they contact you on as they will have multiple numbers and ignore any letters you’ll get. Reality is if you were any real legal troubles youll receive a very official looking letter with lots of paper work in it, trust me you’ll be able to tell it’s real. So to all, keep vigilant and don’t give them your time, I’ve dealt with many of these scam companies and know most of them so leave a comment if you’re not sure and I’ll get back to you.
          Sincerely M.A.

• Jo 11. Sep, 2017 at 11:31 am #

Afraid it’s not just artists and craftsmen, I am a personal trainer and had a call from them this morning. While he was talking, alarm bells were ringing as paid for an advert last year but living in the area it was claimed to be distributed to never saw a copy, other than the complimentary copy sent with the invoice. So thanks to your blog, I will not get conned again

• Liz 13. Sep, 2017 at 3:28 pm #

Can you sue if no money paid. You can’t Class Action a scam surely?

• Sean 26. Nov, 2017 at 8:01 pm #

I got roped into this scam as well, had them chasing me for a couple months, I questioned them about charging vat and them not having a vat number on their invoice then the lady said oh don’t worry we will cancel it for you, and I haven’t had a call or email since, so if any one is still getting chased for money just simply mention the vat as it’s illegal not to show your vat number on your invoices if you charge it, hope this helps anyone

• Kathy 28. Feb, 2018 at 7:50 am #

Hi, my husband was scammed in 2013 and they have just started chasing, claiming that he agreed to the advert being run a second time. they have a voice recording of him but he thought he was agreeing to the first advert that we never saw evidence of. They have now threatened us with court action and sent us a form that looks like they just printed it themselves! Total Scam! It’s all over the internet and still they try. Not getting a penny out of us.

2. Anon again 12. Oct, 2014 at 12:01 pm #

Unless there is more than one person with same name living in the same area looks like person who runs this “charity” isn’t one hundred per cent honest. Just google “Andrew Peter Ager”.

• Andy 16. Sep, 2015 at 10:36 am #

I have inpress on my case now asking for money

• kids for life are a scam!!! 07. Jul, 2016 at 9:41 pm #

Just threaton ull come looking for them and when you find them ull hert them I ment it when I said it and they stopped harassing me for money they are scamming scum sent 1 mag to me with my advert and never made any other copies it aint hard to find someone when u have a name and area they live on direct enquiry ring the other adverts in ur magazine and ull find they either dont excist or they dont kno why there advertised in the magazine

3. Jason 13. Oct, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

Thanks. It does seem our man has tried the same scam on a bookkeeper (and perhaps is dodgy re his motor car). Do these scams make any money? £600 or so in Wales, but he does have to pay something for printing.
    Could it be genuine, after all? Not if you read accounts of the attempts to get more money only three months into a “twelve months” subscription.

4. Manpreet 06. Mar, 2015 at 12:37 pm #

Hi all, I think I have been scammed too. I agreed to get an advert into the Kids for Life magazine and was told I could have it for a reduced price of £125 as I was a new business only to now be invoiced for £175. I’ve just had a rather difficult conversation with a guy called Bryan Law from Inpress Media who is saying I have to pay the full amount or they will start proceedings against me! What do i do?? Thanks, Manpreet.

• Teeccee 05. Apr, 2015 at 3:28 pm #

I’ve had the same, although haven’t received a copy of the magazine or an invoice, only a letter demanding I pay up within 7 days and some unpleasant phone calls. I’ve spoken to Action Fraud and it’s now being passed onto the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau. Their advice is to ignore phone calls, letters etc and update your “crime file” online if they do get in touch. Try phoning Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 the officer I spoke to was very helpful and reassuring.

• Gemma 02. Dec, 2015 at 11:03 am #

Did they start any proceedings?
        I am going thru this now and being hounded for payment!! What do I do??

• Teeccee 02. Jan, 2016 at 5:40 pm #

Their advice is to ignore them, which was difficult but worked, kept getting phone calls and letters but they eventually gave up. I also filed a report with the Charity Commission and they gave the same advice. Haven’t heard anything further from Action Fraud. It all appears to be run from Ormskirk, the same postal mark appeared on all the envelopes including the ones apparently from London.

• HEATHER 13. May, 2016 at 10:06 am #

hi Manpreet, I have just recd a cold call from this inpress media kids for life scam.They called me gave a story about terminally ill children with cancer and said that the mothers had chosen me to advertise with them as I was a new business. Initally I thought ok thats a nice thing to do for ill children so said would go ahead but was could not afford it as no clients yet….they said thats ok you can pay in instalments….The guy on the phone kept on saying the ” MOTHERS” had chosen me and only one of my particular trade would be advertising my therapies. About 10, mins later I got another call asking me to confirm my advertisment with them,,,as soon as I said ok she then coldly told me that we are now in a contract and that I could not back out of it….something inside me my gut feeling told me this was wrong….I was sent a letter and glossy picture of a child with cancer, even a charity registration number…..I googled and found this site and many others all saying the same thing….SCAM..DO NOT SEND MONEY…. I called Impress Media and told them straight I will not be sending any money and I will be reporting them to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau and Action Fraud.I told the woman on the phone I was angry and discusted at the expliotation of sick children on their part….she did not give a dam…she could not wait to get me off the phone…..PLEASE IF ANYBODY GETS A COLD CALL DO NOT GIVE MONEY….ITS A EVIL SCAM… makes my blood boil…there a many genuine charities out there doing a fab job of helping our sick kids….but not this one…they may have registered a charity but its a scam…..if this company call me again they will wish they had not as I will tell them again just how angry and discusted I am……..

• simon 13. Sep, 2016 at 1:48 pm #

well i had the the call was from my area,i greed todo it ,yepp an a phone call later ,thought it was going tobe delivered in my area ,then received mag ,an thought whoes gonna read this ,saw my add ,an lol,then went on pc to see where other adds came from,lmfao ,liverpool im from devon ,and they aint getting a penny

• Name (required) 19. Dec, 2016 at 1:54 pm #

yepp there still ,on my case all that money wasted in postage an updating there mag ,2hrs away from bideford ,why would i go that far ,just let them keep wastin there money

5. cathy 24. Mar, 2015 at 9:04 pm #

I received a call in February exactly the same thing as Jason’s original post. In my case the voice was on an gentleman and very well spoken I must say. He described it as very well and I said I cannot promise, but I wanted to see the graphics. He said I was not obliged and I could opt out. A few weeks later I got an email with the graphics and what looks like legit numbers, VAT, addresses and web-sites. I was abroad and I could not approved the graphics for the advert. Today he called as well, saying that they will be collecting outstanding payments. I have not given my bank details but he has obviously my contact details.
    If it a genuine company I am happy to pay but the more I read the more suspicious I become.
    Any advice?

6. Jo. (Small company, Essex) 22. Apr, 2015 at 10:14 am #

I think I was also scammed by these people. I paid £145 and have tried to find out where they distributed my magazine but their 0800 number is disconnected and the email address doesn’t work. Thanks for your sharing your comments, very helpful.

7. shaun coffell 22. Jun, 2015 at 3:52 pm #

hi ive just had same call been calling none stop saying mothers in local area seen my garden ad and wanted someone they trusted. he said i pay nothing till end of summer £145 i googled the numbers if its a real charity they should show up right? wrong! he also said office would call me back why?? and also send an email and a letter in the post. lucky its only been a few hours and i had the brains to check them out. if you google the website address kidsforlife.org.uk but leave out uk its brings up a shut down site in china.

8. Nick 25. Jul, 2015 at 6:09 am #

I thought I was the only person to be recieving this phone call. They would not stop calling and all along, there was no communication from the kids for life charity. Will be reporting this scam to the police and I urge everyone else who has been caught out by these people for it is wrong what they are doing

9. Freddie 24. Aug, 2015 at 3:18 pm #

Yes i have been take for a same con, well spoken gent completely sold it to me telling me it was going out into my area, with a very easy going i.e. pay as & when you can, paid £175. I asked where did you here from me as I was interested in the beginning, he said from Yell, who i have resently signed up to etc, i am not saying its anything to do with them but they must be targeting new businesses. Very sad to of found out about this, bad distastefull con.

10. Tony 12. Sep, 2015 at 11:14 pm #

I almost got fooled, again by the lovely guy on the phone! He gotta to agree a £238 donation for 1/8th of a page. But made sure I dos some research, he said they were raising 200,000.00 and only had 3 spaces left. Invoice comes as I’m invoice 37?? I.e. IPWK2015-37 they must have been some generous donations before mine? Also the email doesn’t match the domain name and if you Whois the email domain its registered via a proxy service… Why you trying to hide if it’s all official?

The charity is also just over a year old and no one can comment on their Facebook page…….

Horrible people, I have children and am happy to help real charities. But to think I’m giving some scum my money when it could be going to kids or people who really need it.

• Will 12. Oct, 2015 at 8:48 pm #

Hi. Experienced similar story. Checked address and postcode didn’t match official Inpress Media site and was registered at Liverpool Street Train Station.
      Man called called himself Brian Law called me from the number 01675594501 asking for the money for the artwork they done in the copy of magazine that was published in May 2014. Conmen using sick children to make money!!!! Not paying and will be reporting to traidind standards. Those pages they want money for does NOT excist in real magazine. They just send you a copy specially made for you with your invoice ref number printed in small print on the left hand side of the page with ads on. Other ads are fake.

11. Mick 18. Sep, 2015 at 1:14 pm #

Scum. They had me as well. Logged with Trading Standards and Action Fraud. Gonna complain to the Charity Commission as well. Let’s put these cretins out of ‘business’

12. Jenny Ragsdell 19. Sep, 2015 at 10:14 pm #

THANK YOU ….. these guys have been intouch with me, have googled them before I went any further as it just didnt seem quite right ….. and i found all this…. well, they now wont be getting a penny from me

13. joe 05. Oct, 2015 at 2:57 pm #

They got me… same again nice salesman telling me how I was helping kids with cancer.. that the magazine goes out to 25000 properties and business in the local area. Now I find this! I’ll be logging a complaint guys and thanks for the heads up.

14. Ed Sibley 13. Oct, 2015 at 10:16 am #

So glad I found this page! I received a call yesterday from a chap who gave me all the blurb and said they were helping kids in my area. I agreed to an advert – even though I can ill afford it purely because it was supposedly supporting really sick children. But I admit I felt uneasy about it all – and I had a call from impress where the girl spoke to me at a hundred miles an hour and said the call was recorded and that made it a contract. Please can anyone advise me what is the best thing to do – I have not given them any bank details by the way. thanks.

15. Jay 09. Nov, 2015 at 11:28 am #

Hi guys,

I also got call from KIDS FOR LIFE and also from INPRESS Media UK, exactly the same as the above comments, they Quote me £150 and send me an invoice for £190.80, good i found this blog to know it is a Scam. I called iNpress media to cancel the order, they kept on saying our systems are down and cant access anything. Then i emailed them which bounced back straight away, found another email through contact page HTML. I have send an email saying this is my receipt of cancelling the order. I have spoken to Action Fraud and reported this they are looking in to the case, i have asked them to push this forward as they seen many people complained. Hoping to have a good result. THEY AINT GETTING ANY PENNY FROM ME.

16. Monika 07. Dec, 2015 at 6:14 pm #

I received three phone calls and I fell for it because I wanted to help those poor kids. They told me I would not be asked to pay only as soon as I receive their magazine. But three days after the first phone call I received the bill. I had to pay within 2 weeks.
    I also was told that this would be a subscription for a whole year. So I thought that this is a good cause I will do it. However, three months later another guy from Kids for Life called and I helped again. Three months after that he called again to ask for money AGAIN. This time I told him that I don’t want to go ahead with it anymore, it is time to think of myself. He got rude and abrupt and put the phone down. I was fed up with this and I want my money back too.

• Jason 07. Dec, 2015 at 7:19 pm #

Hi Monika. These guys are relentless. Pay them no more. Find the Charities’ Commission on the internet. Fill in the form. Cunningly, Kids for Life have made two charitable donations. One is insignificant. One looks generous, until you start adding up how much must have been scammed by now (this website only records the top of the iceberg, I’m sure). The recent donation to a children’s hospital by Kids for Life is just a sop to the Charities’ Commission to make it look like a real charity. I’m sorry that another decent person has been exploited. The best way to not lose too much sleep over it is to imagine that your money was part of the 4K that KFL did actually pass on to a children’s hospital. Jason

• Darren 15. Feb, 2018 at 11:02 am #

How and where did you find out about their charitable donation? I want to complain to the CC too. Is there any chance I can recover my money, since I paid in good faith upon discovering they were registered as a charity. The CC have done a poor job of vetting Kids for Life. The CC can bloody well pay me back. I’ve medical costs of my own to worry about.

• Jason 15. Feb, 2018 at 9:18 pm #

If you go back to the first comment on this thread you’ll find a reference to the registration of the charity back in 2014. Not long after that I was contacted by a journalist working with Three Counties Radio, who was planning to expose the scam. He told me that KFL had paid for a decoration to hang on a Christmas tree somewhere in the north (Manchester?), which was good publicity for them, but just a token really. Soon after, I visited KFL’s own site and it was announcing that they had contributed equipment to a children’s hospital. There was no reason to think that this might not be true, and it looked a generous gift, though it is not clear just what proportion of the “charity’s” earnings this represented. Whatever, I suppose these donations make KFL look like a charity, and that may be enough to stop The Charities’Commission asking serious questions. But CC has been aware of concerns for some time now, so do contact them.

• Darren 28. Feb, 2018 at 2:26 pm #

I’ve reported it to the Charities Commissions and they sent an automated email to say it’s on their agenda.

I also reported a similar scam to the police from someone who called me posing as an employee as the local crime prevention unit.

I’ve rumbled scams before and part of my schtick is to record the phone calls and publish them online. If they ever call back I’ll play along and record the conversation. I use Skype for my landline and have a plugin for it which captures both sides of an audio conversation, which is very useful if I ever need to be able to give accurate evidence to the police.

17. Ben 11. Dec, 2015 at 11:27 am #

Hi I was “suckered” into it in August! I haven’t paid anything yet. Started to get letters regarding “notice of default and lots of phone calls. So I phoned today to say not happy ETC….. and asked why are adverts not included on the on-line magazine his reply was due to data protection as the customers info is stored on there data base? Is this correct?

18. PB 11. Dec, 2015 at 12:18 pm #

Just an update on my situation, I’m currently being bombarded by calls from these lot for money, the weird thing is the calls come from different parts of the country but, the same person calling.

So far I have ignored all calls and I’m now at the BIG RED LETTER stage.

One thing I noticed in my own personal magazine (im assuming i’m the only one to ever see it) Is that the majority of advertisers, some trading 25 years, only have a mobile phone number, no website, no email address!!!!

19. Jason 11. Dec, 2015 at 5:06 pm #

Andrew Peter Ager, Brian Law, David Parker – those are the names. As you say, the calls appear to come from different places (is this an easy trick to pull off?). You’re right about the phoney advertisers – they don’t even give addresses, so it would be a fat lot of use if you wanted a haircut from “Mandy” or any other of the services offered. I understand one of the consumer programmes is looking into this scam. I suggest you write to “You and Yours” as well as the Charity Commission and “Action Fraud” as recommended by Teeccee above. By the way, if you look at the “Inpress Media” webpage you will see it is just a phoney cut and paste job, and the “satisfied customers” are as fake as the advertisers in the KFL magazine. The page is just there to put us off the scent if we start investigating this whole shabby fraud.

• Ben 14. Dec, 2015 at 7:43 am #

Yes I noticed this as well! When I contacted them I asked for the places they have distributed the magazine in my “local” area, and again Mr B Law said they can’t disclose this! Why I do not know?

20. Craig 14. Dec, 2015 at 6:25 pm #

Hi Everyone. Interesting reading your various stories – I searched Kids For Life to see if they were legit or not as they are mentioned in corespondence I have had from NCPA Magazine; who funnily enough seem to be running an identical scam. I have requested more info from them i.e. mag circulation numbers and a copy of our “verbal recorded contract” as I was concerned about them “illegally mis-selling their product” but am still awaiting a response. Needless to say I should have checked them out before agreeing to anything but they seemed plausible since the NCPA magazine “supports our local emergency services” – ballsy if nothing else! Getting lots of phone calls asking for payment – again from all over the country. Now received a default notice letter. Interested to see where this goes next.

21. Gary 16. Dec, 2015 at 11:48 pm #

Hi all,
    I have just come across this post and all your comments while searching for “kid for life” I too have had a phone call, I never said I wanted to go ahead, just said I may be interested but would need written info. A few days later a letter arrived asking for £234 for my 1/8th advert in the magazine, I ignored it. I have since been bombarded with emails and phone calls (all of which I have ignored) and today have received a copy of the magazine with and advert in for my business along with an invoice from Inpress Media. Any suggestions what to do for the best? Just ignore or ring them and confront whoever answers the phone?

• Jason 17. Dec, 2015 at 10:07 am #

As these guys are patently crooks, I don’t see that they would actually pursue a claim for an unpaid “invoice”, so you could just ignore them. I don’t know how easy it is to ring them. I made contact via the “contacts” section of the “Inpress Media” website and then got a call in reply from David Parker, which was very unsatisfactory. He is not particularly sharp, so, if you are in command of your facts and are logical he’ll more or less crumble – no need to be aggressive. I was able to find the address of the main man at KFL and wrote to him: Andrew Peter Ager, Kids for Life, 132-134 Gt Ancoates, Manchester, M4 6DE. I’ve never had a reply.

22. James McLelland 12. Jan, 2016 at 6:21 pm #

don’t pay them it is all a big scam. they have tried it four times with our club, but the Kids for life one was the best as i almost paid the bill, i called the number in the magazine, and a got a man with the same voice as the caller that called me before . as before i looked up websites and called each company but what i found funny was all company’s have cell phones and no land lines. plus know one answer the phone. big scam and to use sick kids to get money. bad bad

cobra

• Paul 18. Jan, 2016 at 4:32 pm #

I almost fell for this until the ‘artwork’ came back this afternoon, then found this site. I am a decorator, established some time but new to Checkatrade which is how they found me. Ive warned Checkatrade, reported the fraud and emailed You and Yours.

23. Elizabeth Greville 30. Jan, 2016 at 1:27 am #

The initial call from a very convincing marketeer talked me into placing an add about my new business. He told me the magazine sales help to improve the lives of children affected by cancer. I asked him if the publication was distributed locally in my area of Hampshire. The well rehearsed marketeer said I could approve the artwork in their next proposed publication and pay for the ad when I was ready and their was no pressure to pay if funds low and they would be happy to wait. After receiving the so called magazine KidsforLife I started to look up advertisers website addresses to discover the could not be found! After googling several companies in the mag to my horror discovered I appeared to be possibly the only genuine advertiser and the artwork was a picture taken from my Facebook page with a bill for £180. I won’t be paying them and have today received a demand for payment. It’s a shameful scam using very ill children to line a pocket or two! Disgraceful behaviour!

24. Jane Carlton 22. Feb, 2016 at 12:58 pm #

I had a call from them this morning, offering me advertising space for a magazine in Greater Manchester. I was very suspicious when they stressed that they were limiting it to one life coach as this has all the hallmarks of a scam. I said no of course. I checked their website and note that they are still registered with the Charity Commission which is worrying as the original post was in 2014.

• Jason 22. Feb, 2016 at 3:17 pm #

I agree that it is absurd that the scam is allowed to continue. I am waiting for a consumer affairs programme to air the shabby business, but have heard nothing for some time about progress on this. In the meantime, write to the Charity Commission and “You and Yours” at the BBC.

25. Chris MacEwan 24. Mar, 2016 at 11:12 am #

Had several calls from Paul at kids for life. Constantly using ill children to try and get money from me for advertising in the Whitley Bay Area when I called back no real info given just wanting the money! Wanted agreement straight away until I asked him to send the info through on e mail so admin could look at it he said they could not send it but referred to website. The site is badly done and copyright is 2024. Don’t be fooled by them!

26. cheryl 28. Mar, 2016 at 11:11 am #

I have been totally had.. I feel sick.. I told the man I lost my dad to cancer, and my mother is fighting brain cancer now… I agreed to a small ad for £190 inc vat.. i was invoiced but never received the magazine they promised.. I was sent the magazine along with another invoice.. and I paid it no question… I feel like such a fool.. How sick are these people… I want to put this out there and make it go viral.. I have the means to do this as my son is a musician with a huge following..But I need to get the wording correct , can any one help me with the facts in terms everyone will understand ? Thanks

27. Kevin 15. Apr, 2016 at 11:04 pm #

They contacted me too guys, but thanks to seeing this I’m obviously not going to part with any money. I was going for the large advert too. Sickening. I will report them to the Charity Commission.

28. Christine 19. Apr, 2016 at 10:34 pm #

So pleased to see these comments before I paid any money everyone needs to contact ActionFraud. They are still scamming. I thought it was too good.

29. phil 26. Apr, 2016 at 1:45 pm #

Hi I have had the call . They find newly registered business and then say you will be the only business type ( in my case acs gas ) in the magazine for 12 months. prices range from £395 to £195 depending on size of ad the person I spoke to was Paul and then literally ten minutes latter his colleague from impress rang to confirm size,cost and my email and contact details , something didn’t feel quite right and so went online Googled the kids4life site and it is very unprofessional and the more I researched unpleasant set up .I won’t be going any further with it and hopefully they won’t get much further before the relevant authorities put an end to their pursuits .

• jesse 17. May, 2016 at 4:19 pm #

hi sean
      i had a call
      of course i said yes as i thought was genuine
      afterwards i thought that was wierd and decided to check them out and i had just renewed my gas safe
      havent paid i am glad i have seen this

30. sean 01. May, 2016 at 3:16 pm #

Hi
    I have had similar issues, firstly i had ncpa contact me months ago and didnt pay them as was poor set up and didnt trust them. Now 4 weeks ago roughly, inpress media and no magazine sent out as promised and i havnt paid a penny luckily, just the annoying calls and letter asking for money. will not get a penny from me.

31. Andy 05. May, 2016 at 12:37 pm #

I’ve just been pestered relentlessly by impress, and gave Bryan Law some real verbal. He is a searly MF with a bad attitude and I took an advert on the proviso that I could pay in 3 instalments but it wasn’t long before the threatening letters for the full amount came.
    I press are aggressive to a fault and I can imagine many not as forthright as I could be very intimidated.
    Unlike some of you, I did receive the Magazine and as someone with a background in the press, thought it was a well produced Mag, and my advert looked fine.
    Of course, I’ve had no business from it, and never will, but as my sister is fighting Cancer, I took the add to help the charity, but now it seems that may be a lie?
    My advise to anyone getting a call from Inpress, Is HANG UP!!!

32. Kev Pearson 17. May, 2016 at 6:50 pm #

My experience is pretty much the same as all posts –
    I’m now 170 quid out of pocket – serves me right for not checking them out. What is clear, though, is that they definitely target new companies – watch out on Facebook – I have recently done a few FB campaigns in the Gloucestershire area, and they must have picked up on them. How is it that they are still able to continue the scam, even after all the reporting and complaints to the necessary authorities??
    What a bunch of A…..Holes!!!

• Jason 17. May, 2016 at 8:55 pm #

Apparently this type of scam has been running for about 20 years. They target small businesses (especially new ones), and the internet makes it dead easy to find these without getting off your backside. A combination of an advertisement across your region and support for a charity (and what better than one for sick children?) – a lot of decent people are going to fall for that. Check out this article: https://www.lovemoney.com/…/charity-brochure-scam-small-businesses. As for exposing Kids or Life, it seems to be difficult. They are registered as a charity (that happened after they’d started the scam!) and they have given money to appropriate projects, so maybe that deters newspapers from investigating. The authorities who you’d have thought might do something just suggest “don’t pay” if you are suckered into taking out an advert. Try your local press, but given the speed with which KFL works an area it’ll probably be too late already to help anyone else. This site is attracting sufficient interest to be an irritant to Messrs. Ager, Parker, Law and “Paul” and this is maybe the best we can hope for for a while.

33. Claire 17. May, 2016 at 10:43 pm #

I also got a call and they have sent me an invoice. What do I do??

34. Jamie 28. May, 2016 at 11:56 pm #

Hi my husband received a phone call a few weeks ago from these scumbags, he has just set up his new business and they obviously thought they would take advantage of that. He did tell them repeatedly that he was not intrested and even if he was he couldn’the afford it with 4 kids and just starting out, never the less we received a invoice for over £300 and a glossy magazine! I phoned them straight away telling them we will not be paying for something we didn’t want and they insisted they had a verbal contract then they refused to speak to me with my baby shouting in the background! And hung up as you can imagine I was fuming but we haven’t heard from them again since. Also when I Googled the other business names and Web addresses in the magazine the website page couldn’t be found!

35. Soni 06. Jun, 2016 at 6:21 pm #

This forum has been a life saver, THANK YOU ALL for sharing. I am a small business but thought I was doing the right thing by helping the kids having nothing to pay for a few months (when hopefully sales would be up).

I finally sat down to figure out payment after receiving all these letters and calls so I googled to get their phone number. And up popped this post.

You guys have saved me from being scammed so THANK YOU very much!

Best of luck with all your businesses.

P.s. The old lady they get to call is so convincing, but when the old guy called (unknowing I had already signed up) he said exactly the same words which made realise it’s all scripted and not really authentic.

INPRESS MEDIA IS A SHAM.

36. Andrea davison 21. Jun, 2016 at 5:52 pm #

Hi I agreed to have an advert in the kfl magazine last year they said I could pay in instalments anyway I found out I had kidney cancer so have been in and out hospital I may have had phone calls that I wasn’t able to answer no letters . Friday I got a letter from a debt collection and they have said I have 5 days from the date of the letter to make payment of which I still owe £75 plus £40 for the collection agency. So I phoned Friday left a message then phoned Monday and it rang then was cut off so I tried a few more times in the end I got an answer phone message so left another message then I’ve emailed them twice no reply I don’t know wot to do cause I don’t want to be taken to court. Any advice please xx

• Jason 07. Jul, 2016 at 8:13 am #

Hi Andrea, as you know, I suggested you put your case to Andrew Peter Ager. Scammer or not, he might have had the decency to release you from your debt. He could have done so without admitting that his cancer magazine was a sham, just acknowledging that your illness had meant you could not possibly benefit from your advertisement. I wrote to him myself, quoting your email in full. I told him that if I heard from you that he had cancelled the debt I’d not put your comment in this forum. You’ve not got back to me, so I guess you are still being pestered.

37. stuart 14. Jul, 2016 at 7:25 am #

Thanks for sharing this info with us, i too have been plucked from facebook by kfl, they want 260 from me, ive not paid fortunately but if it was a genuine company/charity i would be happy to, im getting about 2 calls a day from them asking for my bank details, i wasnt sure what to do as it didnt seem right, so glad i came across this, can i just ignore / hangup the phone when they call and they will finally leave me alone? or will they cause me problems? court action? debt collectors? bad media? etc, tia

38. Lottie 02. Aug, 2016 at 10:09 pm #

Attempted scam this morning.
    I have just had an attempted scam from a *FAKE* children’s charity Kidsforlife.co.uk. Feeling sick.
    The called from a Hastings number to sell me advertising space in their online magazine. Even though their offices are based in Manchester.
    He kept on using my name, all the time, with patronising terminology. The advertising space is about the same size as a beer matt Lottie. I’m like…”I used to design magazines, can you tell me the exact size of the advert please?”
    Then he took me to a website…and pointed out the charity number – to prove it’s authenticity(!!!) On it are three badly designed magazines, none of which have any adverts in them.
    When the sales lady called, she asked me to confirm my order, one 1/4 page ad, for £149 +VAT and said I’d be invoiced within 4 weeks. She tried to hang up, and I stopped her, asking why the magazine online had no ads in it. She said it was the online version and they didn’t have adverts as these were added at at later date. I told her I used to design magazines, and the online versions were exactly the same as what was printed. She was quick to hang up.
    *VERY FISHY*
    So…I do a bit of digging online – loads of stuff about it being an authentic charity – then I found your page Jasonbraham.com

I can’t believe people would stoop so low as to exploit Cancer in Children as away to make money.

How do I go about reporting them?
    ‪#‎scam‬ #kidsforlife.co.uk ‪#‎exploitation‬ ‪#‎cancer‬ ‪#‎children‬ ‪#‎advertisingspace‬

I reported it to actionfraud.police.uk, tweeted about it to Bexhill, Hastings, and Brighton and reported and blocked their facebook and twitter pages.

PURE EVIL!!! Cancer is something you don’t want to joke about. Especially with a parent. These scammers need to go down, for a very very very long time.

39. Rebecca 24. Aug, 2016 at 8:12 am #

I got this call yesterday, tugging on heart strings and very charming and personal. I didn’t bite, but I know where they contacted me from – Trade It where I put my advert. Actionfraud obviously aren’t responding anytime soon, so I will contact Trade It to notify them that their site is being used this way, maybe they will advertise the fact that this is going on. We shall see…

40. Vic 27. Aug, 2016 at 4:14 pm #

My other half was just conned by kids for life and has paid them. It was only when I read the magazine my suspicion was aroused it didn’t seem right so I decided to google them. The website is sparse as for Facebook page it’s particularly dodgy posts made at odd hours of the day and seems to be there for the purpose of smoke and mirrors if you compare it to the other charity sites you will soon see, there are no images of anyone doing or receiving charity events apart from another organisation which KFL say they donated £500 why would they donate to another charity? So they can keep their charity number that’s why.
    We are in process of trying to dispute payment and want to report this, why is this still happening as from the age of this post 2014 some comments I’m really shocked it’s going on so long. Does anyone have any contact info to report this?

Thanks

41. Sunny 25. Oct, 2016 at 1:15 pm #

Hi Guys,

I’ve just received a letter from a Debt recovery service regarding the £175 invoice.

Like you all I was scammed over the phone but after checking out the company realised it was dodgy and decided to ignore the calls.

What can I do about this new third party debt collection agency that’s getting involved?

Thanks.

• Jason 26. Oct, 2016 at 7:20 pm #

Regarding Inpress Media sending in debt collectors, Personally, I would continue to follow the advice of the various organisations which have said “don’t pay” (see comments on this and my other relevant post). But who are these debt collectors? Only one correspondent has named another party in connection with I.M.’s threats. That party was E and C Solicitors, based in Dartford, Kent, to whose offices one of Inpress Media’s calls was traced. E and C’s main (only?) solicitor is Victor Aigbogun. He is qualified as a barrister in Nigeria and a solicitor in the UK. A quick search on Google will tell you he was the solicitor for Deirdre Newell-Austin of Austin Law, whose ripping off of £3.6 million from fifteen clients makes Ager, Parker, Law and co (“our friends in the North”) look like amateurs.

Of course this does not mean that Mr. Aigbogan was complicit in Ms. Newell-Austin’s offence, but it would suggest he’s not a good judge of character. That someone from Inpress Media was using his phone might be thought to confirm this.

This may be a coincidence, but the E and C website, recently improved, has a distinctly “school of Inpress Media” look.

Any other names for “debt collectors” welcome.

• anon 01. Nov, 2016 at 2:59 pm #

Hi,

I have just experienced a call from C & H debt collectors regarding the same issue. I mentioned I can never remember agreeing to this, they said they will pull up the audio file from April 2015 but was unable to do so. He advised he will call back in an hour with the file as he will request from inpress media.

I have ignored them for a year now, as when I first complained the never played back my audio.

I nearly paid the £175 today as just though ill take the hit a hard lesson learned.

But now reading these comments is making me feel like not to give these scammers a penny. Who’s to say what they will charge if its a card payment over the phone.

• Jason 03. Nov, 2016 at 8:39 pm #

I googled C and H debt collectors. There is one English firm of that name. They say they are based in Liverpool, though their office address is stated as being in Regent St, London. The logo is slickly presented as if it were a plate screwed to a wall and is superimposed on a meaningless crowd scene (like a railway station concourse). Under two headings, “What do we do?” and “How does it work?” the text is word-for-word identical.
          Of course poor graphics and trite text does not mean they are not “a highly trained team of debt collectors, solicitors and bailiffs”, but they seem pretty amateur judging by their failure to present you with the evidence of your debt.
          I came across another North Western team, Moorcroft Debt Recovery Group of Stockport or Salford. Google that name and look at the forum about their methods, and how to deal with them. The advice from the police and others regarding that gang of bullies would apply equally to C and H, I reckon.

• C&H Group 15. Dec, 2016 at 11:16 am #

Hey Jason, I have been hounded by a debt company called C&H Group, for over a year now as I didn’t pay my last instalment to Inpress Media when I realised they were a scam. I am now being threatened with court and affecting my credit score. They have added 95 to the 58 I still owed and after phoning today have to pay by tomorrow ! So pleased I found this thread, will email them any info I can and hope it puts them off following through with any court actions….

• Jason 17. Dec, 2016 at 11:12 am #

See my reply to an earlier correspondent about C&H. Since then I have met a debt collector (socially) who told me there are some dodgy agencies out there. They may be good at bullying but can’t actually take you to court without solid evidence and could not enter your home without a court order.

42. Dan 25. Oct, 2016 at 2:23 pm #

Hey guys. Really glad I’ve found this feed I’m now on my third demanding letter from these guys. I too fell for it as I do a lot of charity support. Not one email has been responded to. How far has anyone been taken with regards to legal proceedings with this company. I’ll happily turn up to court in flip flops and a mankini whilst wearing a clown mask.

• Jason 29. Oct, 2016 at 9:58 pm #

Thanks Dan, that should do the trick. Regarding Inpress Media and legal action is all bluff. Here is some advice I found on a website about another, virtually identical scam: “IMPORTANT: The fraud squad told me do not pay a penny. Ignore the calls or block their number. If they call using caller unknown use your phone’s menu to block all unidentified callers. All they can do is hassle you. They will threaten legal action. Just ignore it, Keep all correspondence in case you need it for a police report. Hope this helps anybody feeling threatend or worried.”
      Michael Blackburn 2015
      (on http://www.freeindex.co.uk › Business Forums › Cold Callers and Scams Forum)
      Funnily, that scam, and others mentioned, originate from the same part of the country as the KFL and NCPA ones. Is scamming a cottage industry up there? I’m surprised they don’t keep scamming each other by mistake. More likely it’s the same crew running the whole lot. More than one of the “publishing companies” has used Liverpool St. as a London Address; I guess the name makes them feel close to home.

43. John 27. Oct, 2016 at 8:55 am #

Looks like I’ve dodged a bullet here. I was just about to pay, as they would give 5% discount to pay quickly.
    Sent them an email, and it just bounced back.
    Just keep ignoring the letters they send I guess.

44. Nirvana Smith 28. Oct, 2016 at 10:41 am #

Hi from Cambridge! Literally just received a call from this “charity” saying I would be the only photographer in there magazine, and that it’s local to my area. They called from madangley, Cambridgeshire, so originally I didn’t question it . They found my details on index free. Although the guy was very polite and chatty I was a little unsure. Very almost went ahead with it, when I said I wasn’t able to afford the amount of £169. He very quickly dropped it to £149. I then had a lady called me from the “magazine” to confirm the details. Wasn’t until then the man failed to mention the £180 vat on top. I then done some research after telling her to call back in 10 and found this !! Thank you so much to you all for sharing your experiences. It can save alot of people! I’ve been up and running for just over 2 months and this could have been a huge mistake !

45. stuart 15. Nov, 2016 at 7:12 am #

Hi all, just an update on my previous post, I too was nearly scammed from this scum, anyway after ignoring calls, emails, texts, and threats, i have recently started answering them, told them to get lost! i originally was told the magazine had been going for a few years and i was unfortunate i had not seen it before! WELL let me tell you! scum from kfl called me asking to advertise with them WOOPS! i was about to have a great time here!! asked loads of questions and low and behold Mr scumbag said!! The reason why i have never seen this magasine before is because this will be the first ever published!! I then proceeded to tell mr scum about my previous threats etc etc, mr scum hang up! WELL guess what!! blithering idiot called me again by mistake obviously and i had the same fun all over again!!!

46. Nathan Fisher 15. Nov, 2016 at 12:13 pm #

Hi

Personally i’d like to thank you for this blog as its just saved my business £354. I totally fell for the scam like all the above replies.

We have reported it to action fraud and pray, not many others fall for it.

I’d rather send the money to Great Ormond Street hospital instead.

Kind regards

Nathan

47. Steven 28. Nov, 2016 at 5:10 pm #

Wow im glad ive seen this! I was called to place an ad in there magazine etc then they sent a sample out. The other ads were very limited etc so i knew something wasnt right. Ive ignored them since (a few months) ive had various red letters for payment. I then answered a call from a woman and i said that i wasnt conviced it was legit and if she could send me some information on where these magazines have been posted. She said she would check then send me the info which i never recieved. Today ive had a call from some bloke in which i said the same to him and he just replied we cover the whole of the north east and your area (Blyth Northumberland). He said it now being passed to debt collectors in which has got me a little worried. Who should i contact to deal with this for me so i know im not going to get a knock on the door from some sort of debt collectors etc? (The ad they tried to sell me is £234) thanks

Steve

• Jason 28. Nov, 2016 at 5:38 pm #

Hi Steve,
      Here are the bodies that other correspondents have recommended we should complain to:
      Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040, The Charities Commission (involves a form), Trading Standards, The Police (especially if debt collectors are involved).
      If you read some of the other posts I’ve done following this one, and read the comments, you’ll find some observations on debt collectors. A few other victims have been threatened with them. I don’t know of anyone who has had a visit.
      I think if you stand firm and demand evidence that you actually agreed to your “advertisement”, they’ll go away. It is very doubtful that your phone conversation with KFL or IP was recorded, and if it was I doubt it would have a chance in court.
      Jason

• Steven 28. Nov, 2016 at 8:10 pm #

Thanks Jason this site has been a big help. I will update on what the fraud team etc say.

Thanks
        Steven

48. PB 14. Jan, 2017 at 8:32 pm #

Well its just over a year since I last heard anything, today I got a letter from C&H Group, debt collection specialists!!

To cut through the bluster they are saying that if I am withholding payment due to a dispute, then they can act as an arbitrary service, ‘In the event that you refuse to resolve the issue, we must inform you that we will take our clients instruction to proceed to recover the debt via Liverpool County Court’.

Will be having a chat with my solicitor regarding the threat.

49. Stephen Johnson 15. Feb, 2017 at 10:16 am #

this started in Dec 2015 I agreed to take an ad in police gazette type publication then googled the commpany – NCPA and found it to be a scam. The artwork sample they provided must have taken 5 minutes to lift from my web site but they wanted £354. They recorded me agreeing to take out the ad and have recently contacted me via C&H credit control threatening court action.

Name of the woman at C&H is the same as the woman at NCPA Carla Smith

Is anyone else in this position – obviously I dont want to pay

• PB 21. Feb, 2017 at 10:24 pm #

Stephen, from doing a bit of research on C&H Group I think they could be dissolved soon.

I sent them a ‘prove it’ letter (recorded) giving them 14 days to reply with proof that I had a debt to Inpress Media, Guess what? no reply at all.

Don’t lose any sleep over it, bullying tactics and big red letters are as bad as it will get, also If you don’t recognise a phone number, don’t answer, I had loads of numbers calling me from all over the country but, stupidly the woman left a voicemail on every call.

50. Danny 28. Feb, 2017 at 10:47 pm #

So just recieved a letter today after totally ignoring phone calls etc for over a year. I had problems with a company called National Response magazine now they’ve apparently passed my debt to these C&H Group Debt Recovery Specialists. I have 4 days to pay or I’ll be taken to Liverpool county court

• Jason 08. Mar, 2017 at 3:28 pm #

“National Response Magazine” is a shabby scam, out of the same mould as “Kids for Life” and the “National Crime Prevention Agency”, and probably run by the same team. They have cashed in on the name of a genuine, government sponsored magazine called “Response”. If you google the two names, you’ll see the difference. There are a couple of threads running on the scam. The tactic, even the cost to the advertiser (ha ha!) is the same as for KFL. All three of these crooked schemes use C&H as their debt collectors, which strengthens my suspicion that C@H is run by them too. Stephen Johnson (see above) notes that the same woman, Carla Smith, seems to work for both NCPA and C&H. Can’t someone bust these guys?

• PB 18. Mar, 2017 at 2:13 pm #

Danny, C&H Group Ltd were dissolved by companies house on the 7th March 2017, I’d say its safe to ignore anything from them, I know I am.

• Sharon 27. Jul, 2017 at 3:16 pm #

Hi

I was scammed by this bunch of nasty people. Found many threads on the internet that said just ignore them and despite the many letters everything stopped.

Today I’ve received a letter from The C&H Group with a threat of a court summons for £240 + £150 costs. Stupidly I went into panic mode and rang them and had to leave an answerphone message asking them to call me.

I then googled the debt company and found this thread and could kick myself for responding. In the meantime I receive a call from 07480 047854 saying he was from the debt company and went into identify the debt even to the point of playing back the phone message the sales women and I had undertaken. I said it was all a scam and he said Vision was a bone fide company and had proved to them that this money was owing, via this recording, and coupled with emails that I had sent was enough for them to raise the summons in the court.

So I’m going to hold my nerve and continue to block their calls and hope that this debt company really is another of their scams

51. Bethan 07. Mar, 2017 at 12:21 pm #

Hi,
    I’ve just had this phone call and like you all, I’m so glad I found this thread!

It all sounded too good, so I had a look on Twitter and FB etc which seemed a bit dodgy, a bit of a google and I came across Jason’s post.

I’ve just called the Inpress Media number back to say we definitely don’t want to go ahead with everything which she says is fine, so fingers crossed nothing else comes through.

Like you all say, if it was a bonafide charity we’d love to support it, how can this still be happing?!

52. Graham 08. Mar, 2017 at 11:49 am #

Hi all I was contacted by a Tony on Monday and caught me at a busy moment. I thought it was a good idea and said I was willing but he did say on the phone that I could pay any time but end of April preferable. I since got an email from Impress designs asking for immediate payment to get 5% off (Ears pricked up). I then looked up website which is poorly made, on the email was an advert, again poorly made also FB only has 25 likers (probably their staff). I called and asked for them to get back to me. I then read this thread, called back and asked to cancel but I was already in the Cancellation holding… strange.

So as far as I’m concerned SCAM! to think I offered free help to the kids too, cheeky sods.

53. Mark. 13. Mar, 2017 at 4:02 pm #

Hi all. I seem to have been scammed by ncpa to. Refused to pay once I realised and now a year later have a c and h group contacting me from a mobile number to pay now and they will drop there fees. Could any one advise what I should do ? Thanks

• Jason 13. Mar, 2017 at 5:41 pm #

Hi Mark,
      Best advice seems to be to tell them to get stuffed. If you don’t fancy a row over the ‘phone, just pass on all correspondence to a solicitor and tell C&H you’ve done so. All the evidence is that NCPA, KFL, NRM and C&H are run by the same scumbags – same tactics, same personnel, same exploitation of decent people, similar addresses. Look through this forum and others on the same scams and you’ll see that these guys are bluffing; they wouldn’t have a hope in court. I’ve tried to interest the northern newspapers in this story, but without getting any response. Back to local radio and TV now, as the story doesn’t seem to interest “You and Yours”.

• Mark 13. Mar, 2017 at 7:40 pm #

Thanks Jason. Shame they can’t be stopped. Will see how ignoring them goes and hope they go away.

• Rob 16. Mar, 2017 at 4:02 pm #

All a huge scam operating out of an office in Ormskirk, Lancashire.
      Same people operating several different “magazines”. National Crime Prevention Magazine, Kids For Life etc.
      No magazines are published and threats for payment wont see you end up in court.
      They use different trading names and always use an accountants address in London.

• PB 18. Mar, 2017 at 2:21 pm #

Yes, Totally ignore as the were dissolved by Companies House on the 7th March 2017.

54. stuart 21. Mar, 2017 at 6:28 pm #

Absolute scum of the earth!!!!
    Reported to action fraud today,
    Absolutely had enough of them now! had my lows and giggles with them but enough is enough!
    I said to them today, i want to see them in court but they said no we dont need to attend, its just a ccj,
    But i want to!! Now they owe me a mobile phone!
    come and knock on my door!

• Katie 29. Mar, 2017 at 2:58 pm #

How long have you had calls from them for? We’ve just received an invoice and the calls have just started.

I’m so glad I found this page! As we believed it was real at first

It’s all a scam though so they surely can’t take it to court. It’s awful when you’re trying to be kind and supportive towards charities and then these people use “seriously ill children” to promote their “business” to scam people out of money

Katie

• Katie 29. Mar, 2017 at 3:00 pm #

P.s just realised you meant you take them to court. Ye that’s so true! Just imagine how much money they’ve made along the way from scamming people? Terrible

55. Mel 23. Mar, 2017 at 4:34 pm #

Literally on the phone to them and this came up.
    We are a non profit scammed by both kids4life and conmunity Action magazine…. has anyone actually recieved any legal action from them????

• Jason 25. Mar, 2017 at 9:32 am #

See Rob, PB and Stuart below, and others. It sounds as if C&H have been wound up (in so far as they ever really existed). I have put any correspondence I’ve had from any of these guys, together with my replies, with a solicitor and told them so. Maybe I’m lucky that the solicitor has not charged me, but since he’s not been asked to do anything except sit on the correspondence, it seems fair enough. Maybe more people should call C&H’s bluff like Stuart and demand a court case.

56. Katie 29. Mar, 2017 at 2:52 pm #

Same thing has happened to my partner, and just received an invoice and nagging phone calls. My partner was going to pay it and luckily I knew there was something not right about it.

So glad you have wrote this article about it, thank you so much! Also thank you to all the people in the comments. He would of paid thinking he had no choice if I hadn’t of seen this

Thank you!

Katie

57. James 22. Apr, 2017 at 1:45 pm #

Hi.
    I came across this blog after a unexpected letter from the c and h group. I like other may have fallen for the ncpa advert scam. Myself set up a small business sometime ago. I got a call from Ncpa. Now at the time I was keen to get some marketing so I was open to see what the offer was. Ncpa sent me a price of the advert but under no circumstance did I agree. Shortly after the c and h group sent me several letters about owing money. The first few I ignored until I received a further one stating court action. Due to not wanting to default or damage my credit I paid the balance.. a year later on the 26th of March 2017 I received a letter from c and h group stating that the money is still Owed!! Yet I have bank statements to prove that I paid. Having done more research and still having the original letters it was Stephen ( one of the directors ) that I spoke to and still have his mobile number on the letter. Cannot believe I fell for this at the time. And certainly won t be again !!!

58. Lou 30. Jun, 2017 at 7:01 am #

My husband has just fallen for this. I thought it sounded like a scam so did some research. Glad to hear we are not the only ones!

59. David 07. Jul, 2017 at 12:15 pm #

Thank you all for the posts. I have been court out in the past by someone else and did not want to fall a second time.
    This one seemed such a nice idea and almost got me but summing felt wrong, I wanted to check it out further. Thanks to all your posts I have avoided it. Small business need to look out for each other. All the best to you all and stay safe.

60. Lou 21. Jul, 2017 at 11:42 am #

Whatever you do DON’T PAY! My husband was targeted through his company, and like others have said they talk fast, ask ‘do you want to help dying kids?’ (How can you say no?) Next thing you get a proof, which we never approved, then a copy of the magazine, then an invoice for £150. They have called, written to us, threatened legal action, bailiffs etc. called again and again, I have written them emails, no one responds, each time they insist on talking to my husband and not me, the last time they called I said he’s driving and can’t talk, they said we can only talk to him, when I relayed the message my husband said ‘just tell them to f*** off then!’ and they haven’t called back! As with all scammers they will only prey on easy targets, my advice would be to just say no and they’ll leave you alone.

61. John 09. Aug, 2017 at 9:53 am #

Phew. Close call. Just had the sales call (unlisted mobile number) it all sounded above board. I agreed to an ad. The mums in the office have all been admiring my website apparently. They called back for card details or whatever and Truecaller said “Scammers” so I rejected the call and did some quick googling and found this page. Next time they called I said “cancel everything” and they seemed to be fine with that. Time will tell if they send me any demands for payment but they won’t get anything.

62. Jo 25. Aug, 2017 at 6:52 pm #

Argh I’ve had a phone call today and as with all the other posts same story and agreed to an add interestingly the first bloke didn’t tell me which charity it was only saying cancer research for kids when the woman from inpress called she said it was from kids for life I stupidly agreed but asked about the cooling off period and was told I’d have an email in 24 hours and seven days to cancel. The whole thing just didn’t ring true so I googled it the minute I came off the phone and found this post, thankfully I then phoned back inpress and told them I didn’t wish to carry on with the advert and she said that was fine but I guess time will tell. I’ve also contacted action fraud and logged a report.

I’m really vexed with myself for not telling the bloke to bugger off in the first instance, he kept going on about the kids and how he had four week old at home at which point I told him that I’m also 34 weeks pregnant, how can these people live with themselves not only using sick children to pray on people but surely anyone with a shred of moral substance would not continue to try and scam a heavily pregnant woman! I’m stressing out now about having my details passed on to debt collectors or though relieved to see that they seem also to be a load of crap run by the same group. It is stressful though and I don’t want my business brought into disrepute I’m a health professional and also work closely with another charity, my reputation underpins everything.

Well hopefully this will be the last I hear from them, I really don’t want to have the rage in my current state!

63. Kay Dickinson 13. Sep, 2017 at 2:07 pm #

Just dodged a massive bullet here and have also warned all of my colleagues in my franchise. Same story as everyone else, and have confirmed my order but paid nothing. Just rang the number back that called me from Inpress and told Imogen who answered that I wanted to cancel and I hope they are recording this call as I have Googled them and found out they are a scam and not to bother sending me any bills as I have reported them to Watchdog, Charities Commission, Action Fraud – and had the phone put down on me, which confirmed everything I needed to know.

Thank you so much for keeping this thread going – I urge people to go to Watchdog as well as oyher places – we need to get this out nationally!

64. Peter 13. Sep, 2017 at 9:12 pm #

Over a year ago it was a company called rcp media that caught me out with a add, then sent a voice recording of me saying yes to it, but missed out the part where I wanted to be sent more details etc
    I just ignored there letters now a year later c and h group debt letter has came through, ignored that one 2 days ago then today received a call from a mobile number 07480 047 865 asking to resolve it.
    Disgusting how they can keep trying to scam people I have it all logged with action fraud uk

65. Pete 16. Sep, 2017 at 5:14 pm #

So Just had a letter from C&H today (16th Sep 2017) demanding payment.

The first sentence on the letter is ‘Despite numerous attempts to secure the outstanding debt,…’; This is completely false as this is the first letter I’ve ever had from them!!

Couple of people mentioned they are dissolved now, yet they’re still sending letters out..how? Do they have a company registered number anyone know?

I’m going to write an email to C&H basically saying the whole thing is a scam and I’m more than happy to travel to court to battle this out!

• Keith 22. Nov, 2017 at 12:20 pm #

Pete, since speaking with them have you had anything cone through regarding ccj etc, I’ve just had the same phone call with them calling them out to be a scam and challenging them on how they feel about doing it to people to be passed to someone else to be it would be passed to the court to which my reply was yes I’ll see you in court

66. A. 29. Sep, 2017 at 2:11 pm #

Hey everyone who has been scammed by Kids for Life.
    I have received the call too about the ad in their magazine and stupidly agreed to pay for the advert. I have not paid just yet. And after reading all these comments not going to pay either.
    Can they sue me for not paying if I agreed to pay over the phone?

A.

67. Kellie 14. Oct, 2017 at 11:37 am #

I have today received a letter from C&H debt recovery specialists , saying despite numerous attempts to contact me they are now issuing a court summons for Liverpool County Court.
    I was scammed by this kids life magazine or whatever its called about 6 years ago, looking at the comments and posts is my best bet to just ignore them? Is there anywhere I can log a complaint about these people?

• Jason 14. Oct, 2017 at 9:21 pm #

Hi Kellie, reading this thread and those attached to my other news entries, “Fun and Games in Notts…” and “KFL and NCPA: are they by any chance related?”, should convince you that KFL, C&H, Inpress (Impress?) Media, NCPA and another “charity” claiming to support refugees are all run by the same scumbags. A couple of us have made a virtual visit via Google Earth (Google maps, satellite) to 83, Dulcie Street Manchester, a given address for both Inpress Media and C&H. It is a scruffy backstreet shop offering a “virtual mail address” service. I expect an investigation of other addresses given by these companies would uncover similar establishments. Like the phone numbers, which change all the time, they are part of a scabby trick practiced on decent people. One real address is that of Andrew Peter Ager (see other threads). I know that is real as it appears in a court summons relating to his abuse of the SORN registration on a car (presumably a classic), and I have corresponded with him via that address.
      Lots of correspondents have listed organisations to whom you can complain. I tried the Charity Commission, who acknowledged that they have had many complaints about both KFL and Inpress Media. I suggest you try all the others as well. I was hoping that a radio journalist would have completed his programme on this by now, but I’ve not heard from him lately. The Manchester Evening news did not respond to my letter and “You and Yours” (BBC) are sitting on the material we’ve accumulated.
      Meanwhile the scams go on!

• Kellie 18. Oct, 2017 at 3:15 pm #

My husband has just taken a phone call from these lot telling him that I need to call them urgently about my debt or it will be with the county court by Friday!!! Surly if they were legit then they would not have told my husband my business because of data protection! and as the “alleged” debt is over 5 years old then it would be statute barred anyway!!!
        I know they are trying their luck but a teeny bit of me is worried that they will take me to court and I will end up with bailiffs on my doorstep

• Mark 23. Oct, 2017 at 2:44 pm #

I received a letter from C&H Debt Recovery Specialist last week. It has 83 Ducie Street listed on the letter. It didn’t say what is was relating to so I called them on Saturday 21st. I had a call back from them today telling me is was for a ad I had with “Vision” and never paid it back in 2012. I said to be honest I’ve never heard of Vision and would be quite willing to take this onto court especially since the debt is relating to over five years ago. So it looks like Vision was another one of their many scamming companies.

• Keith 22. Nov, 2017 at 10:57 am #

I’ve had the same letter today with a N1 claim form that’s essentially blank except for my details that was inclosed in a letter from c & h group. I’ve spent most of this morning on the phone t seperate advice lines. They all seem to say the same that it sounds like a scam.

I also rang Carla at c & h this morning and she was very kind to drop the outstanding balance by almost 200 pounds in an instant.

The main bit of advice that I have been given so far and similar to what other have said here, is to write to them with a prove it letter and also stating that this issue has been reported to the likes of watchdog and action fraud

If anyone has any other information please feel free to email me your contact details to discuss.

Best regards

Keith

info.kbfencinganddecking@gmail.com

68. Eleanor crook 16. Oct, 2017 at 10:24 pm #

I have had a phone call today off a lady regarding sponsoring for £145 I said it’s something I would consider. And she said someone will ring me back very soon and not to miss the call. Well I did miss the call as I was shopping and before I went any further I wanted to check the charity out. I obviously won’t be doing it and as I have 14 days to cancel I will answer the next call and tell them this. Hoping this will be the last I hear from them.. but reading the previous comments I doubt it will! I have given no payment details just my email , my address and phone number. Some people disgust me!

69. Andy 31. Oct, 2017 at 12:46 pm #

They’re still at it by the looks. I had a call today from “Kids for Life” although it all seemed legit at the time there was no pressure to take bank details like many scammers do so I thought they must be a legit. After getting off the phone to the guy I googled them and well thank god I found this page! I soon after got a call from inpress media to confirm my order. I knew it was a scam then as I’ve had a run in with them years ago, she told me my call was being recorded and I told her that I did not want to go through with the order and to cancel it so they have that recorded and hopefully that will be the end of it. To scam people is bad enough but to use the guise of a charity to ill children is pure evil in my book.

70. Chris Drawz 07. Nov, 2017 at 1:10 am #

Same here, C & H, they played recorded so called proof but couldn’t hear it properly. Said that they can’t send it to me. Requested court case. Let’s take them together…

71. Steph 12. Nov, 2017 at 12:43 am #

My husband received a phone call from these scam artists a few weeks ago, sounds exactly the same, very friendly and saying that he could pay monthly for an advert of his company in a children’s charity magazine, they would send him a proof copy first and if he agreed then all could go ahead, advert looked awful and therefore he didn’t agree to anything, then received an invoice of £200 + £40 VAT in post! The well spoken man said that cancellation isn’t an option and he would need to pay. Have since done some digging , DO NOT pay them a penny, not one of the “current adverts” along side my husbands are real, I have looked up there address ( seems to be a few) on Google street view, it’s an old shop with strangely on both addresses a near by charity called “eternal life sanctuary” a Nigerian charity. Strange but very obviously a SCAM

72. Farzana Khan 09. Dec, 2017 at 10:23 am #

OMG!! OMG !! OMG!!

I also got a call from this company few months ago, They offered me the same and when i wanted to see the design they sent me one, i made some changes and asked them to wait till i finalize but they went a head with out my permission and then kept on calling and texting me for money. I was a bit confused when i got texts from different numbers with different bank details each time. They kept calling me and threatening me to pay or they will drag me to the court. they were supposed to send me a copy of the magazine which they didn’t. first a old lady called me which i thought was genuine and wanted to do something for the charity. what a shame. no one will believe any more charity just because of these scams.

73. Chloe 04. Jan, 2018 at 3:28 pm #

They’re still at it. Got a phone call today.

74. Barry 09. Jan, 2018 at 11:44 am #

I received a letter from C&H Group on December 1st 2017. It said I owed £194 and now £294 due to costs. It also threatented me with a court summons to be issued in Liverpool County Court. I did e-mail them but no reply.

Anyway, I phoned them today and he said my case is going to court on Thursday. The debt was advertising I took out on 2012, which for the life of me I can’t remember. He said this was recorded as well. Not relaisng it was a scam at first I said a can pay monthly installments. He agreed I could pay £48.60 over four months. However, when I came off the phone something wasn’t right. It was almost to easy to set up the arrangement. So I googled C&H and found this website and thank go I now realise it’s a scam. I look forward to his phone call on the 20th of this month. But in the meantime i will report this matter.

75. Sophie 26. Jan, 2018 at 12:38 pm #

My Husband has also been fooled by these scammers. Today we have received an invoice for payment from Impress Designs. Luckily I thought something was fishy about this and stumbled across this forum. My question is has this effected anyone’s credit rating or has anyone actually received a CCJ against them? It appears for some of you this has been going on for years, looks like we’re in for a long battle! : (

76. Paul 26. Feb, 2018 at 11:37 pm #

Looks like this my be the company ( apologise if not ha ) they are running the scam via rcp media now and there hiring and using nights out as incentives and top earner got 4K bonus in a month.

RCP MEDIA LTD

Would you like an exciting new challenge?

Package & Description

Basic Salary £15-18k Depending on Experience
    Uncapped Commission our top earner last month earned over £4k!!
    Realistic OTE 35k
    Regular Incentives ranging from gift vouchers to paid nights out.
    Full training provided
    Monday to Thursday 9-5 Friday 9-1
    Location -Ormskirk Town Centre
    Full Time
    If you possess any of the following skills we would like to speak with you:

Tenacious hard working attitude
    Positive personality
    Excellent communication skills
    Enthusiasm
    We are a well-established business trading for over 20 years within the marketing and advertising sector. We are now moving into digital applications and we require more staff to help us achieve our goals.

“Having been involved in sales for most of my adult life, I would strongly recommended them as one of the best sales organisations in the area” John B

Call Craig – 07806-786967

Get your applications in!!! Ha

• Jason 28. Feb, 2018 at 8:07 am #

Hi Paul,
      This is obviously not the same style of scam as KFL, NCPA and the “Refugee” publication. It sounds more like the beginning of a “multi level marketing” (MLM) scheme (a “legal” variation on the old “pyramid selling” ones). However it comes from the right part of the country, and another correspondent mentioned Ormskirk a while back in connection with our bunch. We’ll see. I hope this site isn’t going to get overcrowded with every type of crooked operation in the North West!

77. Vysie 12. Mar, 2018 at 4:18 pm #

I to was caught out by vision in 2013. I’d just setup on my own and wanting to go out to the bigger sectors I took out an add, paid in full fast forward to Feb 10th 2018 a letter from c&h drops, same as everyone else court action will take place etc, so I called got nothing called again, a man answers the call no company name etc just hello!!! I proceed with caution as I’d read all these emails regarding the scam years after I was took by it. The recovery agent got nasty telling me to pay or ELSE YOU SEE! Wow really professional to the debitor
    When asked what I owe I got you no you owe it so pay it, ok can I have there contact details to speak in regards to it. Gives me the number to contact vision. Calls up gave only my first name. Gets Andrew who greats me by my full name and old company name strange I gave the lady my first name only!! So proceeds to speak and he says yeah you agreed to a 2nd copy, slow down Andrew we both no I never and this scams getting old now, by the way how did you get all my info from my first name? Oh it’s your number it brings the file up, really that’s even better as I’m using withheld pal so tell your hired help next to you well done you had me once mate you won’t have me twice. So if you’d like to set a court date I’ll have a road trip up to do battle. He didn’t want to answer what it’s like being arrested for fraud before and said I’ll have a look at it and come back to you.

Scumbags total scum

• Jason 12. Mar, 2018 at 7:12 pm #

“Vision” is a scam that began even before “Kids for Life”, and from the same part of the country – Ormskirk, or “the North West”. Just google “Vision scam” and you’ll find the threads just like the ones on this site. Thank you Adam for making this link.

78. Tolqua 17. Jul, 2018 at 2:25 pm #

I gave a donation to KFL some years ago. I had no idea it was s scam and would have continued to think I’d done something good until I fell for the NCPA call last year and agreed to an advert in their magazine. Fortunately I found out it was a scam and haven’t paid anything.

After ignoring various threats, they stopped calling/chasing and I thought they’d given up, but they’re back now with debt letters from C&H and persistent calls to ‘settle now to avoid court action’. After fobbing off a caller in the morning, I got a call later that day from a supposed ‘bailiff’. As I was driving my wife took the call and was stunned when she was asked to get my card and relay the details to him to make the payment over the phone there and then! This really made me feel better about the likelihood that any proceedings would be issued, but despite all the people posting report here of similar threats, there don’t seem to be many coming back after the threatened date to say that nothing had actually transpired. That’s a pity because I think that’s what most victims are looking for – something to reassure them that they can just ignore these threats and be confident that nothing will happen.

• Jason 02. Oct, 2018 at 6:59 am #

Earlier this year I was one of those who was interviewed for “You and Yours”. The presenter of the programme was convinced the crooks were going to get exposed this time. Mr Ager himself was presented with the case against him, but claimed he hadn’t been given time to prepare his defence. I’ve not heard there has been a follow up to the programme and KFL still seem to be out there, astonishingly. I did contact all correspondents to my forum inviting them to contact “You and Yours”, which I would have hoped would have led to the sort of information about “court action” you are looking for, but, although there were some revealing interviews, that aspect did not come out.

I think you are the first correspondent to report being targeted by both KFL and NCPA. A coincidence, or had they filed your address for later use?

• Darren 04. Oct, 2018 at 10:17 am #

Jason, are you saying Mr Ager was actually on You and Yours defending himself against the claims?

I listen to You and Yours as a podcast every week and have never come across anything about KFL.

What was the date of the programme?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Warning: Bogus Children's Cancer Charity Misleading Small Businesses with Magazine Advertising Scam - 13. Mar, 2018

[…] left a public comment on a blog post by another complainant in which I asked how they maintain their image with little to […]